LGBTQIA+ EDUCATION SERIES – TRANS 101 PRESENTATION w/Jess Clark
Sunday, Aug 4th
3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
JOIN US EVERY FIRST SUNDAY OF THE MONTH FOR OUR NEW FREE PROGRAM IN THE DAVID LOUGHRIDGE LEARNING CENTER AT MEOW WOLF SANTA FE: LGBTQIA+ EDUCATION SERIES! EVERY MONTH WE WILL HAVE A DIFFERENT INSTRUCTOR PRESENTING ON A DIFFERENT TOPIC, WITH ENCOURAGED DISCUSSION. FOR OUR FIRST PROGRAM IN THE SERIES WE ARE HONORED TO WELCOME JESS CLARK, THE EDUCATION AND PREVENTION MANAGER AT SOLACE CRISIS TREATMENT CENTER.
Trans 101 Beyond Blue and Pink:
An introduction to terms, best practices, and the creative navigation of binary systems for Trans/Gender Nonconforming/Non-Binary communities.
More Trans/GNC/NB people are coming out than ever before. This progression in Trans visibility means
that families, peers, and community organizations are quickly needing guidance on how to best support
Trans/GNC/NB people in a system not built for their needs. Jess Clark, the Education and Prevention
Manager at Solace Crisis Treatment Center will lead an interactive discussion on basic terminology while
re-framing common myths, and exploring ways to move in solidarity with Transgender/Gender
– Basic terminology – Connections to Sexual Violence Prevention
– Access needs in the context of service provision – Health Disparities
– Legal protections in Employment/ School/Healthcare – Trans Liberation throughout History
This workshop has been provided for many agencies/organizations throughout NM including:
– Rape Crisis Center of Central NM – Presbyterian Medical Services (Santa Fe)
– Sexual Assault Services of NW NM – Esperanza Shelter (Santa Fe)
– Solace Crisis Treatment Center – Casa Familia Shelter Services (Santa Fe)
– NM Coalition of Sexual Assault Programs – Los Alamos Medical Center
– Theoretical Division at Los Alamos National Labs – Big Brothers Big Sisters (Santa Fe)
– Santa Fe Public Schools – Girls Inc. of Santa Fe
– Albuquerque Public Schools – Resolve NM (Santa Fe)
– Los Alamos Multi-Disciplinary Team – Planned Parenthood (Santa Fe)
– Valencia County Multi-Disciplinary Team – Highlands University
– University of New Mexico’s Project ECHO (ABQ) – Southwestern College
– UNM’s LGBTQ Resource Center (ABQ) – AmberCare (Santa Fe)
– Crossroads for Women (ABQ) – Wise Fool (Santa Fe)
– Gerard’s House – Southwestern College
– Pojoaque Valley Public Schools – Espanola Public Schools
– Santa Fe Youth Shelters – NM Coalition Against Domestic Violence
– La Familia Medical Services – Christus St. Vincent Regional Hospital
– Pecos Public Schools – Bosque School
– Desert Academy – Santa Fe Prep
– Keystone School (San Antonio) – Meow Wolf
– United World College (Montezuma) – Santa Fe School for the Arts and Sciences
– University of New Mexico Transgender Studies
These agencies have found that they have gained the following from this training:
– A clearer sense of what being Transgender means outside of dominant narratives.
– A better understanding of serious health disparities faced by Transgender people.
– Skills for making services more accessible to Transgender community members.
– Strategies to advocate for Transgender community members in education, employment, and